Friday, November 25, 2005

Who Ordered The Groupies?

Under the pressure of an unfamiliar audience...












After a few weeks off and near-death experiences for half the band... album rehearsals resumed the day after Thanksgiving. And, as an added bonus... the lovely and talented Erin Foster returned to the mic to help out. Midway through the evening, Miguel's brother shows up with a group of females, leading them all into the already-crowded rehearsal space to watch his brother "show off". After a rousing showcase of "Wipeout", Planet Roy launched into one of their originals followed by my renditions of "I've Got Time" and "Broken". Our guests seemed a little confused as to why they were there, but most of them got to take a turn on the drums while most of us took a breather outside., so it wasn't a complete loss for them.

Jesse Cripps (John Frum) - electric guitar
Erin Foster (Planet Roy, Running Erin) - vocals

Gary Fitch (Planet Roy, Running Erin, Skillet Lickers) - electric guitar, vocals
D.J. Jones (Planet Roy, the Spurs) - bass guitar
Dave Rayburn (
Buddy, Garage Salesmen) - vocals
Miguel Zuleta (
Planet Roy, Shattered Glass) - drums

Songs (in order of appearance):
"I've Got Time" (Rayburn) - D.J. threw together a set list for us to run through. This one works well as an opener, I must say.
"Good In Black" (Rayburn) - Although I was not completely comfortable with this song at the end of the last session, I quickly grew to love it upon subsequent listenings. Erin's finding her way on this new one.
"Outside" (Rayburn) - By far, my favorite song to sing with band. This one works really well with the harmony vocals.
"Set Me Free" (Rayburn) - Something a little different this time. I didn't find out about it until the song was almost over, but apparently there's a pretty new vocal part thrown in on the coda featuring Gary and Erin, culminating with me wailing "set me free" until I nearly overstepped my range. I'm a quiet singer, so this is something I'm gonna have to come to terms with. Hence... rehearsals.
"Jessie's Girl" (Springfield) - Well, this was pretty much just Miguel going to town on a whim. It only got as far as a line or two. Please forget this even happened.
"Awake" (Rayburn) - Following the Rick Springfield thing, this song seemed to frazzle me a bit. I blame the time off for my memory lapse. We need to work on the arrangement a little more on this one... and I gotta do my homework.

"Small Midwestern Town" (Moore/Rayburn) - Old reliable.
"Hard To Trust" (Fitch/Foster) - Planet Roy entertains the masses that just walked in.
"I've Got Time" (Rayburn) - With Jesse on break, and an audience on hand... we decided to belt out one of the stronger tunes on the album list. The vocals were being sent directly to the computer, so nobody in the room without headphones could hear what we were singing. Still, it all managed to get recorded for posterity.

"Wipeout" (Fuller) - Word has it that chicks dig when drummers play "Wipeout". With a lucky audience member seated next to him in the corner, I do believe Miguel was having youthful flashbacks as he smashed away.
"Broken" (Rayburn) - This one is still a little odd. It's a pretty strong song, but I think some changes still need to be made. What they are remain to be seen. Tick tock.
"It's Your Turn Anyway" (Gomez/Rayburn) - This song is pretty much there despite Erin and I crossing a few words due to some slightly different lyric variations. Classic signature sound.

"Wonder" (Rayburn) - This one should go down easy in the studio.
"Why Won't You Fall?" (Rayburn) - Not that it has anything to do with him... or death... but this one was lovingly dedicated to the late Pat Morita.
"In Peace (Dogstar)" (Rayburn) - Another one of my favorites to sing with the band. This one is pretty much done.
"Phases And Changes" (Rayburn) - A great closer, and one with a new beautiful guitar cascade that Jesse claims is stolen. the best I can come up with is a guitar part near the ending of "Stawberry Fields Forever" by the Beatles. Quite nice.

Maybe it was too much turkey, or too much time off... but I know that I wasn't at my singing best tonight. Still, we've got to keep from getting rusty, so back at it we go next Friday. Recording sessions are not far off. Stay tuned.

P.S. - Gary, thanks for bringing me Gatorade on my death bed last week. You are a remarkable friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home