Monday, November 21, 2005

Reflections Of Paradise

Where the grass is green, and the girls are pretty...
















A much-needed getaway to the lush greenery of Northern California proved to be an inspiring setting for me to resume my composing skills with little pressure on the task. Paradise, California. A couple hours north of our state capitol, and loaded with tall Ponderosas. I was in great company and I even brought a guitar along incase the mood hit me. Sure enough, I found a little bit of time to arrange and write several passages to a song that's been in the works for a couple years now... "My Little Lost City".

The title of this song has changed a couple times, and it may even change again. In any case, I think I needed a beautiful nature setting to trigger some thoughts on this song which comments on the ever-changing geogrpahical landmarks in our lives. In my particular case, a modest old strip mall shopping center that I grew up near has been going through demolition and renovation to make room for the likes of Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Starbucks. Granted, I am guilty of being a consumer at these new and shiny establishments... my issue revolves around the ability or inability to let go of the past and the things we are all comfortable with.

We don't live in the world of The Waltons anymore, but there are certainly some places left that serve as pretty good reminders of the warmth of simplicity. Hopefully that is what will come out in the music. Thanks, Karen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home